Family Math lessons are for the entire family so you strengthen family ties while learning together! These activities help your child to see math as more than just a worksheet by using a growth mindset and incorporates the importance of play and exploration. Engaging questions and open-ended tasks will get your child excited about mathematics. Family Math activities will promote deeper understanding, number sense, problem-solving, logic, and reasoning. Based upon Jo Boaler’s work in Mathematical Mindsets, our Family Math activities help you realize you (and your whole family) CAN understand and enjoy mathematics.
Open, creative, and visual math tasks have been shown to improve student test scores, but more importantly, they can change a student’s relationship with mathematics so they start believing in their own potential. The tasks in CGA Family Math reflect the lessons from Mindset Mathematics. Brain science shows us the following:
- Mistakes, struggles, and challenges are the most important times for brain growth.
- Speed is unimportant in mathematics.
- Mathematics is a visual and beautiful subject, and our brains want to think visually about mathematics.
- There is no such thing as a math person – anyone can learn mathematics to high levels. –Jo Boaler
Family Math, combined with an additional paper/pencil or online curriculum and fluency practice, creates a comprehensive math plan. This develops individual progression in skills at your student’s ability level while encouraging depth of knowledge with a user-friendly math experience your family can enjoy together.
Families can access each week’s pacing guide, fluency practice information, and the Mathematical Mindsets activity in the Family Math document linked in Ally.
COMPLETE MATH PROGRAMS
- Family Math + Fluency Practice + Zearn + Zearn Workbook
- Family Math + Fluency Practice + Zearn + Zearn Workbook + ST Math (supplemental)
- Family Math + Fluency Practice + Paper Curriculum (i.e. Saxon, Math Mammoth, Math U See)
- Family Math + Fluency Practice + Paper Curriculum (i.e. Saxon, Math Mammoth, Math U See) + Zearn (supplemental)
- Family Math + Fluency Practice + Paper Curriculum (i.e. Saxon, Math Mammoth, Math U See) + Other Online Math Subscription (STMath, Dreambox, Math Seeds, etc.) (supplemental)